Tuesday, October 14, 2008

EVER CONSUMING TIDE

(Originally published Monday, October 13, 2008)

Some of you have asked me whether I would post my poetry along with commentary. So here is a short piece I wrote using Personification, one of my favorite literary techniques. However, while I did consider posting it with commentary, I chose to not do so because often poetry carries entendres, both hidden and overt messages, which can mean different things to each reader. Therefore, if I make a commentary, I will have restricted its meaning to all readers. At any rate, I really appreciate and welcome your thoughts; what it means to you. Hope you enjoy it.


What satisfies time?
The ever consuming tide

Placing a day within the grip of her vice
Calendars fall under the weight of her might
Imposing herself even on those who seek cover
She thirsts for another and yet another

She has engulfed centuries in her vacuous form
And like the grave that enlarges itself
Unyielding to the pleas of those that go before
For her subjects she longs more and more

With ages in her possession
Who may triumph in her affection?
How do I still her, convince her to stay
As she walks the route in her measured pace

She sits quietly then moves rapidly
Tarrying for none; yet for some
Her presence seems unending
And she takes no thought of befriending

What satisfies time?
That ever consuming tide.



EARTHAQuantcast

No comments: