Monday, October 6, 2008

SUNNY CALIFORNIA


The recurring greeting I usually get from people out of state is "How are you doing in sunny California?" To that I usually respond, almost without thought, "Fine!" But given the weather conditions to which people have been subjected in other regions, I have deviated from the same monosyllabic response. So the last time I was greeted, my response was "it's HOT like Summer on the first day of Fall, but I'm grateful that I'm not standing atop my roof watching my sofa float down the street." The recent storms and hurricanes of some of our neighboring states reminded me that I have no reason to complain about the heat, from which I can easily find relief, however temporary, in an air conditioned building, by sitting under a fan, or even going to the beach. There are many options if you really think about it, in comparison to other places in the world. The Sahara doesn't find me wandering aimlessly in her backyard, parched, thirsty and panting after mirages. I'm not exposed to subterranean temperatures in Antarctica, where I'm certain those beautiful, white polar bears are adorable only from a great distance, like high definition television. They reside in their natural habitat right where they belong, and are not being groomed and expected to conduct themselves as civilized human beings, which seems to be a difficult and impossible task for some humans. Just try getting close enough to wrap a scarf around those necks and place the cutest mittens on his paws; the bears, I mean. That'll be the day.



We've seen phenomenal footage and photos of intrepidly daring photographers and cameramen, who probably awaken each morning anticipating their next dangerous, yet exciting encounter. During the recent storms, even brave anchorman reported from their various on-the-scene locations, some attempting to maintain their balance as the fierce winds blew all around them, which is a metaphor for life. I'm not sure how well I'd do with the hair blowing in the wind part.


I did have a few concerns, not just because I know people in some of those areas, but because natural disasters are beyond our control. We can only attempt to make certain precautions after being advised of impending dangers and not assuming too much. There are those of great faith and hope, but it's not nice to tempt Mother Nature. And I may be presumptuous in taking the liberty to say that I don't think the Lord bade anyone to literally walk on water this time. I am aware that not all have the luxury of moving swiftly, but wisdom is a principle component to have in this life. Tests are not on my list of invites. I hope to minimize them as much as possible.


As for sunny California, well, the earth does quake every now and then, as we find ourselves dazed, like "what just happened?", even though we are most certain that we are not hallucinating. However, once it's realized, you first ask yourself "dummy, why the heck did I freeze, as if the shaking would stop if I didn't move?" Secondly, we immediately get on the phones with our loved ones and friends, asking, "Did you feel that?" We are sometime more relieved that our china didn't fall out of the curio cabinet more so than the roof caving in our heads. Some would even be disgusted if the sprinklers went off because we'd just gotten our hair done. What vain creatures we are. As for me, I couldn't just run out into the street in my pajamas. I need to at least look decent. I'd put my make up bag, along with an extra set of clothes, right by the door, with my keys, guitar, 2 favorite pairs of boots, maybe a black blazer, and oh lord, how could I forget my kick- butt CD case of favorite artists? Clearly you can see where I'll be... under the rubble!

EARTHAQuantcast

No comments: